Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cajun Shrimp Casserole

I stumbled upon this recipe on pinterest.com last week and had to try it, I LOVE shrimp and I love spicy! It really wasn't too hard to make, but make you read the recipe correctly! I misread the whole rice part and just figured it called for uncooked rice, but NO it calls for COOKED rice. It all turned out alright but I had to cook it almost twice as long as the recipe said to make sure the rice got cooked.


Ingredients:

2 lbs large fresh shrimp
1/4 cup butter
1 small red onion chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of shrimp soup*
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to your liking)
3 cups COOKED long-grain rice
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Chop your onion and peppers while melting the butter in a LARGE skillet or dutch oven (my LARGE skillet about overflowed after everything went in). Add the onion and peppers to the pan and saute for approximately 5 minutes or until softened.




Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add okra, lemon juice, and salt and saute for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and saute for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink. Add the remaining ingredients except cheese and stir until well incorporated. Pour into a lightly greased casserole dish and top with the cheese. I split the casserole into two smaller dishes so I could make a spicier batch for Luke and I and a more tame batch for Jack, so I used less cayenne pepper than it called for for the whole recipe and after I split it into the dishes I added more cayenne to the dish I wanted to be more spicy. And Jack absolutely loved it so I call this one a winner!

Bake for 15-20 minutes (or about 30 covered with aluminum foil if you forgot to cook the rice) or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown. Garnish with lemon, or parsley sprigs if desired.

*Cream of mushroom soup can be substituted for cream of shrimp (my grocery store didn't have cream of shrimp)

Original recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-shrimp-casserole-10000001108225/

No comments:

Post a Comment